Choose your Program
Mt. Lemmon SkyCenter is home to Steward Observatory's public astronomy outreach program and is located high above the city of Tucson, Arizona. Our exceptional science programs take place on the summit of a Sky Island, at an elevation of 9,157 feet. We proudly provide access to the Schulman 32" inch and the Phillips 24" telescopes. These are TWO of the largest telescopes available for public outreach in the Southwest.
All of our programs have capacity limits and are available by reservation only. We often sell out, please make your reservations in advance.
Due to the terrain as well as the remoteness of the site, accessibility is limited. Please call or email us with any questions regarding disability-related accommodations. We will do our best to facilitate your full participation at the SkyCenter events.
Office hours are Mon-Fri 9am - 3pm (520) 626-8122 email@example.com
- SkyNights StarGazing Program: Our premier evening StarGazing program is available, by reservation, on most Thursday through Sunday evenings (subject to weather and site availability). This five hour program starts two hours prior to sunset and includes an astronomy lecture, a light dinner, sunset, and guided navigation of the night sky. We'll start with binoculars and end with views through the Schulman 32-inch and/or the Phillips 24-inch telescopes. Views may include anything from our spectacular neighboring planets, to galaxies and nebula millions of light years away. Appropriate for ages 7 and up. Adults $65, Youth $40 For More Information on SkyNights . . .
- Day Tours and Solar Viewings: Limited availability, for groups by special arrangement and well in advance. These walking tours are 1 1/2 to 2 hours in length. We will bring you on site to talk about the beginnings of the Mt. Lemmon SkyCenter, and our future as both a research facility and a public outreach center. We'll introduce you to the work of the Catalina Sky Survey, discuss near earth objects, and explain the purpose and the people behind each of the 11 telescopes. You can arrange for access to solar viewings (weather dependent). This tour is $15 per person and requires a minimum of 20 participants. For groups of less than 20 people, we can provide this tour for a flat rate of $300.
- Picnic Day Tours: Same as above but we'll pack you a lunch! The day tour with lunch is $25 per person and requires a minimum of 20 participants. For groups of less than 20 people, we can provide this tour for a flat rate of $500.
- Private and semi-private Astronomy Events can be arranged by contacting our office 2 – 3 months prior to the desired date.
- Special programs: (meteor showers, Messier Marathon, etc.) are available according to the universe and sell out quickly.
- Astronomer NIghts: Viewing: from the novice to the professional, this is an outstanding opportunity to spend the entire evening with a professional guide using our telescopes to peer at a multitude of celestial objects. This program is $1200 per night for up to 2 people and includes lodging, participation in our regular SkyNights program (optional) and a night lunch.
- Astronomer Nights w/ CCD Photography for experienced astronomers with working knowledge of CCD photography. Pursue a more detailed analysis of astronomical data using our telescopes, CCD cameras, and other resources. This program is $1200 per night for up to 2 people and includes lodging, participation in our regular SkyNights program (optional) and a night lunch.